Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Scrap Metal Art - Owl




This was a technology project that was undertaken at a school. Students were asked to collect scrap metal and design their own garden metal art. I decided to follow the process and created my own! I researched my idea of creating an owl. The design is largely created on what I could source and I had to adapt and change it to create my final outcome.
 I sourced springs, nails, cogs from a bike, a hinge, and a chimney flue cap. The fine springs at the top represent the feathers and have wire inside to shape them. The wings are shaped wire covered in chicken wire. It is mostly welded together. I popped riveted the springs at the top.

4 comments:

  1. That owl is pretty fancy. My sister's friend is a owl obsessed loon. Anything and everything owl she has to have. I'm going to have to look for scrap metal in Surrey and try to make stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saving those metal scraps for arts is a good practice to ingrain on students. This is a great way to impart the youth the importance of helping our environment, by recycling hardly-manufactured materials such as metal scraps. Anyway, that owl looks nice. I could barely see those springs, nails, cogs from a bike, hinge, and other metal scraps you used for it. Cheers!

    Brandi Bradley @ Rotax Metals

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that metal owl looks great, and pretty huge too! I bet it’s quite an eye-catcher. It’s nice that you were able to recycle some metal sheets and turn it into something useful. Anyway, thanks for sharing this with us. Good day!


    Rosemary Bailey @ Wabi Iron & Steel Corp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a Great Information about World Day its exceptionally pleasant educational post. a debt of gratitude is in order for the post. cash for cars Brisbane

    ReplyDelete